Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Customer Service


Many businesses have forgotten that good customer service leads to return business and word of mouth advertising. Many companies I have dealt with in the past few years have treated me as if I was something the cat dragged in. I have received the same treatment whether I was complaining, complimenting or paying them. It was as if I was an inconvenience, bothering the employees while they chit chatted.

Since when has my money not mattered to a business' bottom line? Where have even the basic manners gone? I don't enough digits to count how many times I have not been greeted by a cashier. Several are too busy talking or texting on their cell phone to give me the time of day. Some have been so busy talking that they never said a word to me. They rang up my purchase, took my money and gave me my change without a word to me, the paying customer, the reason they have a job.

Companies need to go back to basic in training employees. If an employee cannot maintain good customer service, they should not be given pay raises and promotions. Proper customer service must start with managers and co-workers. When company employees treat each other as customers, it trickles out to the paying customers. This means being respectful and courtesy to each other. Years ago I was taught that if a manager takes care of the employees and customers, the money will take care of itself. Following this philosophy I was able to run 30+% operating profit month to month. Customer loyalty was seen in the 46.5% sales growth my first yeer. If I can do that with only a high school diploma then why can't these businessmen with MA in business do the same thing?



Seen in a fortune cookie "It is nice to work with happy people. Be one!"

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Simran

2 comments on "Customer Service"

Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe in a Reader
Impish Dragon on January 22, 2009 at 3:37 AM said...

You are so right! My wife and I have made the same comments many, many times while at the grocery store. We stop going to places where the customer service is too bad. Sadly, in our area that limits the places we are able to go. Maybe if we complain to management ...

Sourpuss on January 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM said...

Yes, complain, blog, write letters to the editor, go up the corporate ladder, etc. We have to let businesses know that we want to be treated with respect and courtesy when interacting with their company. If we don't let them know that we don't like the way their currently conduct business, they will not change.

I have fired an orthopedist recently because of the way his support staff treated me. Just because he is the only one in this town doesn't mean his staff can be rude and abusive to me. I found a different orthopedist in less than 2 hours. Granted he is 90 minutes away but his staff is wonderful. I am treated with respect and dignity every time I go there. It is my money and I can choose who gets it.

:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment